With the popularity of home renovation shows on television, it’s not surprise that a lot of people are keen to give their own DIY projects a try and you might be ready to try your hand at installing your new wooden floors yourself. Although it might look easy, there are actually quite a few things that can go wrong. With that in mind, we’re here to share the most common timber flooring installation mistakes so you can avoid them!
Common installation mistakes
- Installing timber over under-floor heating –If you have underfloor heating already in place in your home, don’t just lay your new flooring over the top. This can result in warping, shrinking, or splitting. In some cases, your floorboards will be able to withstand under floor heating but you’ll need to discuss this with the manufacturer.
- Not leaving gaps for expansion – It’s a very common mistake to lay floorboards right next to each other. Although this looks good initially, remember that wooden flooring expands with increased temperature and moisture, so you need to ensure you leave space for this to occur to avoid problems like cupping.
- Underestimating how much time it takes – So many people assume that installing new timber will only take a couple of days. Unfortunately, this often isn’t the case, especially if you’re installing your flooring for the first time. Your room could be out of action for several days, so be prepared!
- Poorly prepared floorboards – Laying floorboards can take time, but don’t be tempted to cut corners by rushing the preparation of your floorboards. When you’re cutting your boards to fit into your space, take the time to ensure your measurements are exact so they don’t stand out for the wrong reasons once installed.
- Not having the right tools – When you purchase your new flooring, make sure you get some advice on the tools you’ll need for the installation process. The last thing you need is to realise at the last minute that you can’t go any further with the installation due to a lack of proper equipment.
- Expecting perfect results – The professionals make it look easy, but it takes a lot of skill to perfect the art of installing floorboards. If you’re installing floorboards for the first time, it’s important that you’re realistic about results. Make sure you take your time for the best final product possible!
Call in the professionals
In some cases, you may decide that it’s best call on a professional service for your flooring installation. This approach can save you time, results in minimal waste and damage, and means you’ll have a stunning final result.
At Kustom Timber, our experienced team can assist with professional timber flooring installation in Melbourne. We understand that your floors are an investment and pride ourselves on our craftsmanship for stunning results which will last for generations. We can help transform the look of your home with our hassle free, expert installation service.
For timber flooring installation Melbourne, contact Kustom Timber today on (03) 9645 3857.